Print and Web Graphic Designer
Moment is seeking a full-time high-energy, creative and cutting-edge graphic designer to join its small-hard working staff. The ideal candidate is comfortable in a fast-paced journalism environment; is a self-starter who works well in a collaborative environment and thrives on deadlines.
The designer will work collaboratively to:
- Create compelling layouts for bi-monthly print magazine
- Work on website design for momentmag.com
- Design and build images for web, newsletters, and social media channels
- Design promotional materials, reports, books, invitations, programs, etc.
- Advanced proficiency in InDesign is essential, along with Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with web design, particularly in WordPress
- Ability to adapt to a quickly changing workflow, managing many projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills
- Candidates should also be team players, creative thinkers, problem-solvers, and be willing and able to work extended deadline hours with the rest of our editorial staff.
Moment is a thriving print and digital magazine known for its first-rate journalism, cultural and literary criticism, and signature symposiums. It was co-founded in 1975 by Leonard Fein and Elie Wiesel. Based in Washington, DC, Moment is a friendly office located near public transportation.
Send a cover letter, resume and clips to email@example.com. Salary commensurate with experience.
Audience Engagement Editor
Moment is seeking an energetic editor to lead our digital outreach effort. The ideal candidate lives and breathes social media and loves journalism; is a self-starter who works well in a collaborative environment and thrives on deadlines. The audience engagement editor is expected to become an integral part of the small, hard-working Moment team.
Moment is a thriving print and digital magazine known for its first-rate journalism, cultural and literary criticism, and signature symposiums. It was co-founded in 1975 by Leonard Fein and Elie Wiesel and has been led by Nadine Epstein since 2004. As Leonard Fein proudly declared in the premier issue, Moment would include diverse opinions “of no single ideological position, save of course, for a commitment to Jewish life.”
The Audience Engagement Editor will be expected to:
- Manage all aspects of Moment’s website and ensure that site content is up-to-date.
- Spearhead online editorial production: write, edit and design content (stories, videos, introductions) that reflects Moment’s style and tone, including writing, editing, production and management of Moment’s newsletter and other digital projects.
- Create a social media strategy with clear goals and objectives; Expand Moment’s reach on social networks; Increase traffic to Moment’s website; Monitor data on website visitors through Google Analytics;
- Support traffic goals by finding, testing and implementing new tools and strategies for growth and adjustment.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Previous journalism experience
- Stellar writing and editing skills
- Extensive experience with digital tools and platforms such as WordPress
- Social-media mastery of at least three platforms
Candidates should also be team players, creative thinkers, problem solvers, possess
a positive attitude and a sense of humor, and be willing and able to work deadline hours.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume and clips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a strong interest in Jewish politics, culture and religion? Love writing and editing? Want to learn the ins and outs of magazine production? Moment Magazine offers interns the opportunity to become a valuable part of our magazine. Interns work with various departments within the magazine, and are involved in many aspects of production, from fact-checking and researching articles to pitching stories. Administrative duties are also part of the internship; all interns may also provide assistance to all departments.
Editorial interns provide support to Moment‘s editorial staff. Duties may include:
- Research for potential stories
- Copyediting, fact-checking and proofreading stories for the magazine
- Pitching and writing pieces for Moment‘s website
Social media interns will assist in communications and publicity for the magazine. Duties may include:
- Writing Facebook and Twitter posts promoting Moment‘s content
- Creating and adding content to Moment‘s YouTube channel
- Creating/maintaining Moment accounts on Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, etc.
- General publicity assistance, including identifying and reaching out to outlets that would be interested in Moment‘s content
- Publicizing events hosted by Moment
Marketing/advertising interns will assist our Director of Marketing and our marketing/advertising team. Duties may include:
- Identifying and researching potential advertisers
- Calling and emailing potential advertisers to acquaint them with Moment
- Assisting with researching content and editing copy for advertorial sections including Music Guide, Book Guide, Higher Learning Guide, Giving Guide and Jewish Routes
- Experience with Excel helpful
Event and programming interns will assist in the planning and execution of Moment-hosted programs and events. Duties may include:
- Helping to create exciting original programming and events
- Working with partner organizations/venues to create and implement programming
- Arranging logistical details for events and programs
- Being present at events to help with on-site needs
Internships are offered in the spring (January through May), summer (June through August) and fall (September through December). Fall and spring interns work 16-24 hours/week (two or three full days) and may receive college credit (the internship is unpaid). Summer interns are expected to work 40 hours per week. All editorial internships are completed at our Washington, DC office. Moment does not provide housing or travel assistance. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter; applicants for editorial internships should include two writing samples or clips. Please send all materials to email@example.com, attention Ellen Wexler.
Moment Magazine is seeking individuals eager to be part of a friendly, professional team that can help with a wide range of administrative and business-oriented tasks. Tasks include but are not limited to: 1) answering phones and taking messages; 2) filing correspondence in notebooks and file cabinets; 3) helping with occasional mailings; 4) helping with events. Computer literacy is a plus, especially with Word, Excel and any other programs including Filemaker.
Stimulating and friendly-office environment with many visitors and projects. Position has limited off-street parking and straight ride-on to major Metro buses. Tenleytown-AU metro stop is a 15 minute walk.
Expressions of interest should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.